Tuesday 5 May 2015

Book Review: Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz



I had high hopes for this book. I was disappointed.

House of Silk was extraordinary. I wasn't expecting anything less from Moriarty. However, my hopes were utterly destroyed right at the beginning of the book - John Watson isn't the narrator, but some American detective who doesn't know Sherlock's methods. Then, we are introduced to a Scotland Yard detective (way better than Lestrade) but he has a Sherlock complex that is difficult to explain: he follows Holmes' methods but he also wants to be Holmes. Very difficult to create affection towards both characters. And you know what happens: if you don't like the characters you'll stop reading the book.
But I didn't for several reasons, one of them was the fact that I loved House of Silk very much and I was hoping that the plot would eventually lead to a terrifying twist. Which it did, three chapters before the end.
I wasn't happy with that. The book is named Moriarty but he never shows his face to us until the end, when we understand what happened and I still have some questions.
I am not aware if this is a duology of if it has more books ahead, but if it has and they are not narrated by John Watson I will not read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment