Friday 8 May 2015

Book Review: Lola and The Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins



Once again, Stephanie Perkins makes me laugh and nostalgic.

I was looking forward to read another Stephanie Perkins' book. And I got a chance to buy this book and read it after a disappointment (Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz). I needed a book that would make me laugh and get over the sorrow that I had. Lola is a funny and unsual character, with many adventures and a terrific balance between wonderful worlds that she lives in. She made me laugh and forget the previous book. For four days I was living an utopian happiness.

Lola has homosexual parents - no big deal according to her and a big slap in everyone's face who think that gay marriage and gay adoption is imoral. They are perfect parents - overprotective, concerned and truthful parents - I absolutely loved them. I loved even more the fact that they made pies at home and had a bakery. Please, I want to work for them.

She is dating this super rockstar guy called Max. He's between a rockstar and a nerd. I still don't know how to define him with other word besides untrustworthy. Even though Lola loves him and talkes about all of the good things she sees in him, I wasn't convinced. Even less when he insulted Lindsey.

On the other hand, we have Cricket. He broke her heart before and I didn't trust him at the beginning even though it was obvious that he would be "the boy next door." However, he starts showing his sweet and thoughful side and suddenly I want Lola and Cricket to be together. Awn.

One of the things that I loved the most about the book was St. Clair and Anna's appearances. I thought I had seen the last of them in Anna and The French Kiss but I was wrong (thankfully). I want to read the next book of the trilogy and fall in love again with the characters and the beautiful writing style that makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment