Friday 11 September 2015

Book Review: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas


Can it get any better?


So... Queen of Shadows... My Dorian, my dear, my prince, my king! The first chapter starts with him and my heart cringed and broke a little. Just a little. But then we have Aelin (I was going to write Celaena, but I guess that calling her Aelin now makes more sense), fearless, brave, iconic, smart. She is the heart of the book and I can't imagine it otherwise.

Heir of Fire was putting on a "to-do list" to perform in this book. Get the Wyrkey: tick. Kill Arobynn: tick. Kill the King: tick. Free Dorian: tick. She did all of this and much more. The most incredible think, I think, is the fact that we could see the ending a chapter in their lives and a new one beginning. That ending was marvellous. I could imagine some sighteseeing of Narnia because that is the most beautiful thing that I have ever seen in a movie.

The tricks that Aelin does in this book are incredible. From the wit of Aedion's rescue to the moment when she fights Manon.... perfect. Actually, about that fight: I wasn't expecting it to happen in this book, maybe on the next one, but it was so epic that took my breath away and I was rooting for both of them.

The flirting between Rowan and Aelin was epic and frustrating. Why can't they just kiss already? I was laughing, too. Aelin is so amazing in everything that she does.
Aedion, on the other hand... he had Aelin's temper and he was annoying sometimes, but I still liked him. Like a brother, so sweet and protective over her. Awn.

Chaol... I still don't like him. I don't even know how it was possible to like him in Crown of Midnight but for God's sake! He is stubborn. He has his reasons, I know, but I don't know how I could have ever shipped him with Aelin/Celaena. However, his dedication and loyalty to Dorian is remarkable. I ship that bromance.

Manon had her challenges to face in this book, and pretty good ones. I think that she is like Celaena in the first book but with one hundred years. She evolved so much in this book, understanding things a lot more and her heart is showing more emotion. It deserves a "awn" moment as well. One of the most interesting things about her was the fact that when she met Dorian, the Valg prince let Dorian take control of his body so that Manon couldn't figure out it was him. That was a clarity moment - for Dorian and me - and a relief too, after all of those demonic chapters.

The end was so epic! I still am astonished at the amount of things that happened in the end! So magnificent, so beautiful and tragic. I can't wait to read the next book because I want to see Aelin and her court in Terrasen with Dorian as an ally. That shall be interesting. I want to see the Queen back to the throne that she deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment