Friday 17 July 2015

Book Review: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


A beautiful story with a tragic end

The first time I encountered the name of the book was because Leo DiCaprio was the main character. I saw the movie, I fell in love with it and since then I have wanted to buy the book. Lana Del Rey's Young and Beautiful song was following me all the time while I was reading this book which made everything so special and every time Gatsby was on it, I imagined DiCaprio and the scenes from the movie revived in my mind.

The book that I bought was very short (210 pages) and then I found out that The Great Gatsby was actually only 180 pages and the rest of it was extra material about Scott (even though I like to call him Fitz - I am still trying to figure that out because no one call him that - I am going to write Scott because everyone knows him by that name). I read those extra pages and found out that Scott wrote one of my favourite short stories (I actually saw the movie, I had no idea that it was a short story) - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Without even realizing it, Scott has been one of my favourite authors and I hadn't even realized that. It's time to say that "s" word.

About Gatsby: I don't have enough words to explain how a rollercoaster this book is. And how painful it is. I still remember that the end of the movie was shocking to me (DiCpario likes to die in the water) but the book hurt so much more! In the end, we leave alone. Gatsby had that live to achieve only one goal - to be with Daisy - but in the end all of those people who loved his parties didn't return the generosity. How cruel.

One of my favourite readings this year. I am sure going to read more things from Scott. After all, he wrote so much that I won't complain that I don't have anything to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment